Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of those quick and easy meals.
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups ham, cubed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In 4 quart Dutch oven cook onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in ham, undreained tomatoes, broth, rice, water, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and parsley. Return to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, 7 to 10 minutes or until shrimp are opaque and rice is tender, stirring occasionally.