Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an adaptation of a recipe from "500 Low-Carb Recipes". My in-laws were low carbing it for a while and I made this for them. It was a huge hit. We especially love it served over what we affectionately refer to as Heart Attack Cauliflower Grits (see recipe). Unsure of yield. If making for guests and you need to hold the dish for a while, don't add the shrimp 'til just prior to serving. They will get tough if cooked too long. We like it with chicken andouille sausage.
- 12 ounces andouille sausages, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 ounces bacon, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 cups shrimp, shelled, deveined
- Tabasco sauce
- Saute the andouille and bacon until the bacon is crisp. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Saute the onion and green pepper in the drippings until tender. Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove the vegetables and add to the reserved meat.
- If necessary, add a little olive oil to the pan and saute the mushrooms until beginning to brown. Return the meat and vegetables to the pot. Add in the tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, thyme and rosemary. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the shrimp for 5 minutes. Add salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste.