Recipe by cajunhippiegirl
Just like Maw-Maw made. Serve with crusty French bread and herb butter if desired.
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cups raw rice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup onion tops, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Make a roux with flour and oil. Cook until about the color of peanut butter.
- Add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic.
- Cook slowly until transparent, stirring often.
- Add stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce and let cook until oil rises to the top.
- Stir in raw rice and raw shrimp; add 3 cups of water.
- Cook covered over very low heat until rice is tender about 20 or 30 minutes. Add more oil or water if mixture appears to be too dry.
- At the very end when cooked, stir in parsley and onion tops.
- Prep time is time to chop veggies.
- Cook time is total time for making roux and then time for rice to cook.