1/3 Photos of Shrimp in Yellow Curry (Gang Lueng Goong)
My husband loves this dish, and it's such a snap to make that he can make it himself. I have only lately become fond of Thai food, and yellow curry is my favorite, but I couldn't find many recipes for the same here. I found this on a Thai recipe site. It has a bright, sunny color and a lovely flavor...though I keep it a bit timid, but you can add some more chilies for more heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp, deveined and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons yellow curry paste
- 2 cups light coconut milk (or 1 14oz can)
- 2 -3 potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 2 chili peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 spring onion
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- 2Brown onion and then and ginger and garlic.
- 3Add curry paste, and mix well. It might be a bit globular, but don't worry - it will mix in nicely once you add the liquid next.
- 4Add coconut milk and mix well. You can add about 1/3cup water if it is too thick.
- 5Add carrot and potatoes and bring to a boil. Leave the pot uncovered so that the water previously added will evaporate and you will get a nice thick gravy.
- 6When the carrots and potato are just about cooked, add shrimp, bell pepper, fish sauce, sugar, chili peppers and curry powder.
- 7Simmer for 5 minutes until shrimp turn pink. Do not overcook at this stage as shrimp will turn rubbery.
- 8Top with chopped spring onions just before serving.
- 9(Note: Taste the curry and adjust seasonings as necessary at this time. Depending on the brand of curry powder you use, you may need to adjust the amount of sugar. I have found some bitter notes in certain brands, and increasing the sugar adjusts that. You can also add some red pepper flakes if you need more heat, or even at more of the yellow curry paste at the last step).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp in Yellow Curry (Gang Lueng Goong)
Serving Size: 1 (291 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.0
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.6 mg
- Sodium 707.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
yellow curry paste
light coconut milk