Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tapas by Penelope Casas. Inspired by a dish served at Paco Alcalde in Little Barcelona. Also called Andalusian-style shrimp.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika, preferably Spanish smoked
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup fish stock or 1⁄4 cup clam juice
- 1⁄2 dried red chili pepper, seeded (Spanish guindilla or guajillo)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- kosher salt or sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (use small to medium size shrimp)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet; saute onion and garlic until onion is wilted.
- Stir in flour and paprika; add in tomato sauce, wine, fish broth, chile pepper, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Cover and cook slowly for 20 minutes.
- In a separate skillet, heat remaining oil until it is very hot.
- Add in the shrimp; stir-fry quickly over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp to tomato sauce and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes.