Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From South American Food and Cooking by Jenni Fleetwood and Marina Fillipelli.
- 2 1⁄4 cups breadcrumbs
- 7 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 lbs shrimp
- 1 2⁄3 cups stock
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 red chilies, seeded and chopped
- 4 1⁄2 ounces dried shrimp
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ounce fresh gingerroot, grated
- 3⁄4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 4 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 lime, juice of
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- hot chili oil
- place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and stir in the coconut milk. leave to soak for at least 30 minutes.
- puree in a blender or food processor, then scrape into a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, peel the fresh shrimp and set aside in a cool place.
- place the shells in a pan an dadd the stock and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, strain into a bowl, pressing the shells against the side of the colander or sieve to extract as much of the flavor as possible.
- Reserve the stock, discard the shells.
- Put the onion, chiles and dried shrimp in a blender or processor and blend to a puree.
- Scrape into a large pan and stir in the oil.
- Cook over very low heat for 5 minutes.
- add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- grind the peanuts and cashews in a processer till they become a fine powder.
- Stir into the pan and cook for about 1 minute more.
- stir in the breadcrumb puree and shrimp stock.
- Stir over low heat for 3 minutes, till shrimp are cooked through and the mixture resembles a thin porridge.
- If necessary, stir in a little water.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
- serve immediately, adding a scattering of chopped cilantro and a couple of drops of chili oil over each portion.
- serve with cooked rice.