1/2 Photos of Shrimp in Chipotle Sauce
A sauce just spicy enough to make your mouth tingle enveloping tender shrimp- this is fairly quick to prepare if you use pre- peeled shrimp. This recipe includes Cola which adds flavor as well as a touch of sweetness. The sauce is good spooned over white rice. I would not suggest using diet cola for this recipe. Adapted From William Sonoma Mexican.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 4 ripe tomatoes, about 1 1/2 lbs. chopped or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans each chopped tomatoes, drained
- 2 canned chipotle chiles, en adobo with 1 tablespoon sauce
- 1/2 cup Coca-Cola or 1/2 cup Pepsi
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1In a bowl, stir together the garlic, lme juice, and sea salt and pepper to taste. Add the shrimp and toss until thoroughly coated. Let marinate while preparing the sauce, at least 5 minutes.
- 2In a heavy frying pan or cazuela over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and saute until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring constantly, just until the color deepens, less than 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomato mixture to a blender, allowing any excess oil to drip back into the pan. Reserve th oil in the pan. Add the chiles an dsauce, cola, and oregano to the blender. Process until you get a textured sauce.
- 3Remove the shrimp from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Return the pan with the reserved oil to medium-high heat and heat until the oil begins to shimmer. Add half of the shrimp and cook until opaque, about 2 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining shrimp and add them to the plate.
- 4Return the still-hot pan to medium-high heat and add the sauce. Fry, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens and the flavors deepen, about 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes longer just to heat through. Divide the shrimp evenly among warmed individual plates. Spoon some of the remaining chipotle sauce over each serving and serve at once.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp in Chipotle Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 151.5
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 437.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 2.1 g