1/3 Photos of Shrimp in Cantaloupe With Orzo Pasta
Refreshing Shrimp salad for a hot summer evening. Entry for RSC#7 Summer 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cantaloupe
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground, divided
- 1/2 lb baby shrimp, cooked, thawed if frozen (400/lb)
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, any colour, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, in vinegar, drained
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta, cooked
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, leaves only (1/2 teaspoon dried oregano if fresh not available)
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled, lightly toasted and rough chopped
- 1Cut cantaloupe in half, remove seeds and discard. With a melon baler, make small balls or curls, place in a bowl, leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch wall being careful not to break through the skin. Sprinkle a little of the salt and pepper inside each cantaloupe half, turn upside down on a paper towel to drain.
- 2To the bowl of melon balls add tomatoes, bell pepper, capers, shrimp and orzo, add half of the remaining salt and pepper. Carefully stir to mix. Chill for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- 3In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- 4Add oregano leaves to oil mixture and gently stir to coat. Leave at room temperature until ready to fill melon halves.
- 5Pour olive oil mixture over melon ball mixture and gently stir to coat.
- 6Cut a very thin slice off the bottom of each cantaloupe half, to steady them, place each on a salad plate.
- 7Sprinkle salt and pepper over the inside of the cantaloupe halves, fill with the melon ball mixture and again sprinkle salt and pepper over all.
- 8Top with pistachios.
Browse Our Top Melons Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp in Cantaloupe With Orzo Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (663 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 729.5
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 221.0 mg
- Sodium 1144.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 36.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of