Refreshing Shrimp salad for a hot summer evening. Entry for RSC#7 Summer 2005.
Make and share this Shrimp in Cantaloupe With Orzo Pasta recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cantaloupe
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, fresh ground, divided
- 1⁄2 lb baby shrimp, cooked, thawed if frozen (400/lb)
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, any colour, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, in vinegar, drained
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta, cooked
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh oregano, leaves only (1/2 teaspoon dried oregano if fresh not available)
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, shelled, lightly toasted and rough chopped
- Cut cantaloupe in half, remove seeds and discard. With a melon baler, make small balls or curls, place in a bowl, leave 1/4 to 1/2 inch wall being careful not to break through the skin. Sprinkle a little of the salt and pepper inside each cantaloupe half, turn upside down on a paper towel to drain.
- To the bowl of melon balls add tomatoes, bell pepper, capers, shrimp and orzo, add half of the remaining salt and pepper. Carefully stir to mix. Chill for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add oregano leaves to oil mixture and gently stir to coat. Leave at room temperature until ready to fill melon halves.
- Pour olive oil mixture over melon ball mixture and gently stir to coat.
- Cut a very thin slice off the bottom of each cantaloupe half, to steady them, place each on a salad plate.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the inside of the cantaloupe halves, fill with the melon ball mixture and again sprinkle salt and pepper over all.
- Top with pistachios.
Wonderful recipe. Would also be great with a little red onion if you like.
This was a most interesting combination of flavours. Thank you for a refreshing summer salad.