Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a great summer-time meal that's quick to prepare. Let each person shell his or her own shrimp to dip into a fiery jalapeño-and lime-mayonnaise. My Black Beans in Tomato Vinaigrette goes great with this. Originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle. Enjoy with ice cold cervesa!
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beer
- 1⁄2 onion
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, cut in chunks
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, flattened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- black peppercorns, to taste
- 1 lb large shrimp, shell on
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine all the jalapeño mayonnaise ingredients together and set aside to let flavors blend.
- In a large saucepan, combine the beer, onion, celery, lemon halves, garlic, coriander and cumin seeds, oregano and peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, skim off and discard most of solids.
- Return to a boil, add shrimp and cook until just pink, about 4-5 minutes.
- Drain and serve hot or chilled.