Prep 24 hrs
Cook 15 mins
A great excuse to throw a party!
- 1⁄4 cup crab boil seasoning (recipe follows or use store-bought)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 6 fluid ounces distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 6 fluid ounces olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large bay leaves
Crab Boil Seasoning Mix
- 3 teaspoons pickling spices
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon minced dried chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large bay leaf
- ---To Make The Crab Boil Mix---.
- Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
- Pulsing, process until the mixture forms a coarse powder.
- ---To Prepare The Shrimp---.
- In a large kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil; add the crab boil mix.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, just until the shrimp turn pink and are translucent throughout do not overcook or shrimp will be tough; drain well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, celery seeds, mustard, olive oil, and cayenne pepper.
- In a large bowl, arrange ½ of the cooked shrimp.
- Cover with half of the onion slices and the bay leaves.
- Top with another layer of shrimp and onions.
- Pour the dressing over the shrimp, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- To serve, drain the shrimp and onions of as much oil as possible; discard the bay leaves.
- Place the shrimp and onions in a bowl and serve with toothpicks or cocktail sticks.