Recipe by Deely
This recipe comes from my good friend Robert's mother. It was written on a scrap of paper in no particular order. As with all my recipes, it is a starting point so please, feel free to adapt it to your personal tastes...if you don't like okra, leave it out. If you like smoked sausage in your gumbo, add it. We like crab claws in ours but they weren't in the original recipe. There is also a Louisiana spice in it called Slap Ya Mama that you can find on line, which is Robert's addition to his Mama's recipe. Tony's seasoning would do in a pinch. Also don't rush making the roux...it takes time and patience.
Top Review by AlabamaJack
This is the best scratch gumbo recipe I have ever used and it will be my starting place anytime I decide I need a gumbo fix in the future...I added shrimp, fish filets, lump crab meat, and andouille sausage.
The taste is exactly where it needs to be....
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups green onion tops
- 1 -2 tablespoon cajun spices (Slap Ya Mama)
- 3 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 3 cups okra, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together oil and flour in a cast iron skillet.
- Cook over medium low heat 30 to 40 minutes stirring constantly, until chocolate brown, adding thyme, oregano, parsley and salt halfway through.
- In a seperate skillet, melt butter and saute white onion,celery, bell pepper and garlic until tender.
- In a stockpot combine chicken broth, water, tomatoes, tomato paste, green onions, sauted vegetables and 1 Tbl Slap Ya Mama and heat to warm.
- Add cooked roux to stockpot and slow simmer 2 hours adding the shrimp and okra the last half hour.
- The last half hour is also the time to add more Slap Ya Mama and salt to taste.
- Serve over rice.