Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Shrimp Gumbo is a fast microwave soup that is quick and easy to prepare. We love it with a loaf of sourdough french bread. I made a few changes to the original recipe from Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet Heathstyle Cookbook.
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves,cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 scallions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb spicy sausage, cut into chunks and fried
- 8 ounces fresh okra, trimmed and sliced into 1 inch pieces or 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- Combine garlic, pepper, celery, scallions, chili powder, thyme, and oil into a 2-1/2 quart microwave-safe casserole dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cook at 100% for 10 minutes.
- Prick plastic to release steam.
- Remove from oven and uncover.
- Mound vegetable in the center of the dish.
- Arrange shrimp and sausage around vegetables and place okra in the center, on top of the vegetables.
- Pour tomatoes over shrimp.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Prick plastic.
- Stir ingredients well.
- Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Prick plastic.
- Remove from oven.
- Uncover and add broth.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until hot.
Ellie, I'm sorry to take so long in making this wonderful dish. We had it last week and it was absolutely wonderful. I had never tried to make a gumbo before and I will be making this often. Thanks for such a good recipe.
Did not turn out as well as expected. If I ever prepared this again, I would not add any oil at all. The sausage produced more than enough. Regarding spicing flavour, it was rather bland and had to improvise to kick it up to "tasteable". The garlic helped and tripled the thyme and chili powder and lots of pepper but no added salt because of the vegetable broth.
This was my first real experience with microwave cooking. It was fast and easy, and it turned out so tasty! I replaced the chili and thyme with Cajun seasoning and added a bit of Chipotle Tabasco. Great recipe! Will definitely make again. Thanks!