Recipe by ellie_
Shrimp Gumbo is a fast microwave soup that is quick and easy to prepare. We love it with a loaf of sourdough french bread. I made a few changes to the original recipe from Barbara Kafka's Microwave Gourmet Heathstyle Cookbook.
Top Review by ~Nimz~
Ellie, I'm sorry to take so long in making this wonderful dish. We had it last week and it was absolutely wonderful. I had never tried to make a gumbo before and I will be making this often. Thanks for such a good recipe.
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves,cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 scallions, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb spicy sausage, cut into chunks and fried
- 8 ounces fresh okra, trimmed and sliced into 1 inch pieces or 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen sliced okra
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine garlic, pepper, celery, scallions, chili powder, thyme, and oil into a 2-1/2 quart microwave-safe casserole dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Cook at 100% for 10 minutes.
- Prick plastic to release steam.
- Remove from oven and uncover.
- Mound vegetable in the center of the dish.
- Arrange shrimp and sausage around vegetables and place okra in the center, on top of the vegetables.
- Pour tomatoes over shrimp.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Prick plastic.
- Stir ingredients well.
- Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Prick plastic.
- Remove from oven.
- Uncover and add broth.
- Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until hot.