Recipe by katie in the UP
DH doesn't like gazpacho...but loves shrimp cocktail! I found this recipe in the June Food Everyday magazine. No complaints last night! Perfect light summer meal! I served it with grilled garlic bread.
Top Review by Brenda.
Katie this was Super! I enjoyed this out on the deck after work. I made your recipe exactly as written, except instead of using red pepper flakes, I added a dash or two of Emeril's Hot Sauce- BAM! Totally refreshing! Nick's Mom
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 709.77 ml plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 118.29 ml roasted sweet peppers, I used fresh
- red pepper, but recipe calls for jarred
- 354.88 ml tomato juice
- 29.58 ml red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over high heat, swirling to coat bottom of pan. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Add shrimp and cook on both sides (may have to do it in batches).
- In a food processor, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, cucumber and 1/2 the roasted peppers (here's where I also added crushed red chili flakes -- approx 1 tsp -- we like it spicy!) Process until well combined. Add tomato juice and vinegar; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve divide tomato mixture in bowls and top with shrimp and remaining roasted peppers. I also garnished with herbs from the garden, I used cilantro and a few garlic chives.
- Recipe is suppose to serve 4 -- maybe as a first course, but it served 2 large appetites as a main course tonight!