Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is an interesting recipe that we enjoyed very much. When canned shrimp is on sale, I stock up so we can have it more often.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped (1 medium)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, rinsed, seeded and chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can shrimp, drained and chopped
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a saucepan, cook onion and garlic in the 2 tablespoons vegetable oil until the onion is tender.
- Stir in the UNDRAINED tomatoes, chile peppers, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Bring to boil, then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer 20 minutes; set aside, keeping it warm.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt for about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored.
- Fold the reserved whites into the yolks and sprinkle the flour on top of the mixture. Fold in and then fold in the shrimp.
- Drop by spoonfuls into hot oil and fry until brown. Turn and fry until other side is brown.
- Drain on paper towels.