- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (31-35 per pound)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup cognac or 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb linguine
- 1⁄4 cup fresh minced parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a 12 inch skillet over high heat for 4 minutes.
- Toss shrimp with 1/2 of the red pepper flakes, 2T oil, 3/4 t salt.
- Add shrimp to hot skillet quickly arrange in single layer sear until bottom of shrimp forms small spots of crust about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and turn shrimp over and add cognac pause until cognac has warmed up slightly about 5 seconds,return to high heat ignite cognac shaking pan when flames are out about 15-30 seconds later pour shrimp into bowl set aside.
- Allow skillet to cool return to burner over low heat add 3T oil, 3T garlic; sauté until sticky about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the red pepper flakes, 3/4t salt, sugar, tomatoes, and wine; heat on medium high and then simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp with accumulated juices, remaining 1T garlic and parsley; simmer until shrimp is heated through, about 1 minute.
- Take off heat stir in 1T olive oil.
- Cook pasta in salted water save 1/3 cup pasta water; drain.
- In a pot add pasta 1/2 cup sauce (no shrimp) add 2-3T pasta water toss.
- Put some pasta on plates top with sauce and shrimp.