Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another one I've saved over the years.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb small shrimp, uncooked, peeled, deveined and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces mushrooms, shopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (more if desired)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) package wonton wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten to blend (glaze)
- peanut oil (for deep frying)
Basil Cream Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, minced
- Melt butter in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, shallot and garlic and toss until shrimp begin to turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, stock, vinegar and salt and cook until shrimp are pink, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in ricotta, 1/3 cup Parmesan, lime juice and basil, adding more Parmesan if liquid remains. Cool. (Can be prepared several hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Set won ton wrapper on surface. Place 1 heaping teaspoon shrimp mixture in center. Brush edges with glaze. Bring corners and sides to center; twist top. Repeat with remaining won ton wrappers and shrimp mixture.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 375°F Fry pockets (in batches; do not crowd) until crisp and brown, about 1 minute. Remove using slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Divide pockets amount plates. Spoon sauce around.
- For Sauce:.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and stir until slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Serve immediately.