Recipe by Chef ladyinblue3
I first had this dish in New Orleans. Many years later I finally came up with this recipe. If you like things spicier add more cayenne pepper or hot sauce to your liking. This is a large recipe as I make it with my students so it needs to feed a crowd. This could also be made with other seafood or chicken. Serve over hot rice.
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 4 cups onions
- 5 cups celery, diced
- 5 cups bell peppers, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red peppers (cayenne)
- 5 teaspoons paprika
- 5 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 6 -8 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 -6 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté onions, celery, pepper and garlic until they are cooked down.
- Stir in flour and cook until flour starts to brown; stirring constantly; this is known as a roux.
- Stir in mushrooms, shrimp and water.
- Cook for 10 to 20 minutes, until shrimp is done and sauce is thickened.
- Serve over hot rice.