Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a basic recipe for etouffee that you can make with all shrimp, all crawfish or a combination of both. Great with a side salad and some crusty French bread! Originally from an October 1980 issue of Bon Apetit that featured "Creole Cooking at the Source" with recipes from Leon Soniat, a New Orleans' native, cooking school teacher and cookbook author.Save the onion skin, celery top and trimmings, and green onion trimmings to add to the pot for the shrimp stock.If using all crawfish, use clam juice instead of the stock or use a seafood base mixed with water to equal 1 1/2 cups.You can also just use water, but the resuls are much better with a stock.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups uncooked peeled shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 cups shrimp stock
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (or more to taste)
- lemon juice (optional)
- white rice, freshly cooked
- 3 -4 cups water
- 2 cups shrimp shells
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 onion, unpeeled and halved
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add flour and stir constantly until roux is medium-brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add chopped onion,celery,green pepper and garlic and cook,stirring frequently, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and stock and let simmer until shrimp just turn pink.
- Add next 6 ingredients and simmer 3 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and let stand 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding lemon juice if dersred.
- Reheat and serve over rice.
- Combine water and shrimp peelings in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add onion skins,onion, celery stalk and vegetable trimmins and continue boiling 20-30 minutes.
- Strain through fine sieve.
This was EXCELLENT. Directions were clear and easy to follow. The results were delicious! Thank you1 We will be making this again.
This is Authentic right here