Great for Mardi Gras!
Make and share this Shrimp Etouffee recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canclear vegetable broth
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 lbs uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 cups cooked white rice or 4 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- additional hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add flour; cook and stir 10 to 15 minutes or until flour mixture is deep golden brown. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, celery and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, clam juice and salt; bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in shrimp, red pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce; simmer 6 to 8 minutes or until shrimp are opaque.
- Ladle into 8 shallow bowls; top each with 1/2 cup rice. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with additional pepper sauce, if desired.