Recipe by Chef Dine
This is a winner! Lots of ingredients but your reward with so many complex flavors that really compliment one another!
Top Review by Sharron
THIS IS AWESOME DELICIOUS!!! The only thing I changed was instead of 8 oz. clam juice I used 8 oz. chicken broth, 6 TBSP butter instead of 8, about 6-8 garlic cloves (I just LOVE garlic) and I added the green onions towards the end with the shrimp. I had about 21 huge prawns that I chopped each into thirds so there were bite size chunks of shrimp all throughout. I served over white rice. I will definitely make this one a lot. Thank You.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (red or yellow)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4-3⁄4 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked shrimp
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 -6 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a 4-5 quart pan over medium heat. Stir in flour until bubbly. Stir in green onion, yellow onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, bay leaf, thyme and basil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, uncovered, stirring often until vegetables are soft, 20-30 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, wine, clam juice, water, Worcestershire sauce, white pepper and hot pepper sauce to taste. Bring to a boil while stirring over high heat.
- Turn down heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups, (about 45 minutes).
- Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, parsley and shrimp. Simmer until shrimp are heated through.
- Serve over hot cooked rice. Makes 6 servings.