Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Gimme Some Oven blog. Her recreation of the menu item from Catus Grill in Kansas.
Make and share this Shrimp Enchiladas With Jalapeno Cream Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb peeled devined shrimp
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas (may sub flour tortillas)
- 2 -3 cups monterey jack cheese
Jalapeno Cream Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (to taste)
- To Make The Enchiladas: Preheat the oven to 375? F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a large saute pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the pan in an even layer and let cook without moving, about 1 minute. While cooking, sprinkle salt and 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder on top of the shrimp. Then flip the shrimp over and continue to cook until just pink and opaque, 30-60 seconds longer. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon and set aside. When the shrimp is cool enough to handle, roughly chop into bite sized pieces, if desired. Set aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan. Add the garlic and onion and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, carrot and spinach, as well as the other 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, plus the oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne to the pan. Stir well and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until the spinach just begins to wilt. Add the shrimp back in, stir to combine, then remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Steam the tortillas.
- To assemble the enchiladas, place a steamed tortilla on a flat surface. And (working quickly, so that the tortilla doesn’t dry out), fill the middle of the tortilla with about 1/3 cup of the shrimp/cabbage filling. Then sprinkle some cheese on top and carefully roll the tortilla and place it seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Drizzle the top with about half of the jalapeno cream sauce, then cover the dish with foil and bake for about 20 minutes, or until tortillas are heated through.
- Remove from the oven, then serve individual enchiladas drizzled with the remainder of the jalapeno cream sauce. You can also garnish with additional cilantro, cheese and/or sour cream.
- To Make Jalapeno Cream Sauce:.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the flour, whisking until golden and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk the broth into the flour mixture. Stir in the sour cream, whisking if necessary to remove any lumps. Then add the minced jalapeno, and simmer until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the fresh cilantro. Season with salt and pepper if needed.