Recipe by English_Rose
A hot, sweet dish with lentils. Dhansaks are probably the most satisfying of curries.
- 12 ounces red lentils
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 in piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 3 -4 green chili peppers, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs jumbo shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut into bite size chunks
- 8 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 2 ounces cilantro, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the lentils into a large heavy based pan, season well with salt and black pepper, then pour in enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 mins or until soft. Top up with hot water if they begin to dry out. Drain and put to one side.
- Meanwhile heat a tbs of the oil in a large frying pan, add the dried spices and cook, stirring all the time for 2 mins or until the seeds pop. Stir in the onions, ginger, garlic and chilies and cook for 5 mins or until soft and fragrant.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the shrimp. Raise the heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 6-8 mins or until the shrimp have turned pink. Stir through the pineapple, add the lentils and tomatoes and a little hot water so the mixture is slightly sloppy and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season again with salt and pepper, stir through the cilantro and serve.