Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
adapted from today's NY Times.
Make and share this Shrimp Curry, Goan Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 cups canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place shrimp in a gallon-size resealable plastic bag, and add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper and cayenne. Mix well and refrigerate.
- In a deep skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat, combine oil and chilies and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and cook for 1 minute longer. Add ginger, onion, 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt and sauté until onion is soft and translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, ground coriander and turmeric and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomatoes. Stir, scraping sides and bottom of pot, for 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in curry powder and cook for 1 minute. Add coconut milk, bring to a boil, and add shrimp. Bring to a simmer and cook until shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro. If desired, serve with rice.
fabulous with little effort, we left out the chilies for the kids and I was using precooked shrimp, the coconut milk makes it filling enough for a meal, thank you