Recipe by Redsie
Wonderful taste and interesting mix of sweet raisins and hot pepper sauce! You can add more pepper sauce if you like it hot - like I do!
Top Review by trishypie
This was so delicious! I increased the curry and hot sauce and used a sweet chili sauce. The spicy and sweet combination was really nice. I served this over couscous and will definitely make this again. Thank you for posting Redsie!
- 12 ounces peeled deveined fresh shrimp or 12 ounces peeled deveined frozen shrimp
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Rinse the shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet cook onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic in hot oil until crisp-tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes, raisins, parsley, chili sauce, lemon juice, salt, hot pepper sauce, white pepper, curry powder and thyme. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir shrimp into tomato mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes more or until shrimp turn pink.
- Serve over rice. Sprinkle each serving with toasted almonds.