Recipe by Bokenpop aka Madeleine
A delicious spice blend that's just hot enough to warm you up on a chilly winter's night. The beauty of this dish is that the curry sauce can be made ahead and shrimp added just before serving which makes it perfect for entertaining.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cm piece gingerroot, cleaned and grated
- 2 -4 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 large tomatoes, skinned and crushed finely
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 3 1⁄2 lbs medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter and oil in a large pot and fry onions, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add curry powder, bay leaves, star anise, cardamom pod, cinnamon stick and cumin seeds cooking this for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato pulp, vinegar, sugar and chicken stock stirring well.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat and leave to simmer for 45 minutes - the curry sauce could cook for hours at this stage which would blend the spices very well.
- Add coconut milk and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Raise heat, add shrimp and cook for 10 minutes til all shrimp have turned pink.