Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This was one of our favorite dishes on Fridays in our Catholic household. I think my Mother learned this recipe from her Mother and so on and well you get the idea. It's also good with drained LeSueur peas warmed in it at the end. Don't ask, just try for yourself. Hope you enjoy this like we have! Thanks Mama for such a wonderful dish and memory! My kids & grandkids are enjoying this to this day!
- 4 -5 lbs small to medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 3 medium yellow onions, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 2 small bell peppers, chopped fine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fresh curly-leaf parsley, chopped fine
- 1⁄8 cup Crisco
- 1 tablespoon flour or 1 tablespoon Bisquick
- 1 (8 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) canshunt's tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) canhunt's tomato puree
- water, if needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dash thyme
- 3 fresh hot peppers (such as Thai)
- hot rice
- Add Crisco to heavy dutch oven.
- Add onions, celery and bell peppers.
- Saute until soft and onions are clear.
- At this time add flour or Bisquick, and stir into cooked veggies cooking just until cooked through.
- After a final good stir add tomato sauce, paste, and puree.
- Stir well to make it all smooth.
- Now add garlic, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, hot peppers and salt.
- Cover and cook for about 45 minutes on medium/high fire, stirring often.
- Then the shrimp can be added and the cover left off so that the juices from the shrimp will cook off and not make the dish too watery.
- Cook for about 20 minutes and serve over hot rice.