1/1 Photo of Shrimp Creole
Sue Lau's Note:
This recipe is all about New Orleans. Perfect for Mardi Gras or anytime. Great with lots of Tabasco. Delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- steamed rice
- 1In a large skillet, cook onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in the oil, until vegetables are tender, 5-6 minutes.
- 2Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a minute, then add 1 cup of the chicken broth and mix well.
- 3Then add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and salt, stirring to mix.
- 4Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- 5Mix the remaining chicken broth with the flour until it is smooth.
- 6Whisk it into the sauce and stir constantly for 5 minutes.
- 7Add the shrimp and cook just till shrimp turn pink and curl.
- 8Remove bay leaves before serving.
- 9Serve with steamed rice and Tabasco sauce, if desired.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Creole
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.9
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 294.4 mg
- Sodium 1322.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 36.2 g