1/2 Photos of Shrimp Creole
A classic, and for good reason. You can't beat this dish for ease, style, presentation and, most of all TASTE!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs small shrimp, shelled,reserving the shells,and deveined
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 3 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, to taste
- rice, ring (recipe is in my cookbook)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1Rinse shrimp well and pat dry on paper towels.
- 2In a bowl, rinse reserved shells well in several changes of water, drain them in a colander.
- 3Combine them with 2 cups water in a saucepan.
- 4Bring to boil and simmer mixture for 20 minutes.
- 5Strain broth through a sieve lined with a dampened paper towel (there should be about 1 ¼ cups of broth, if not, add enough water to measure, or reduce).
- 7In a large skillet, melt 2 tblsps butter over moderately-low heat and in it cook the garlic, stirring, until it is pale golden.
- 8Discard garlic and add shrimp to the oil.
- 9Cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until barely pink, but not cooked through.
- 10Transfer shrimp to a bowl, add remaining 2 tblsps of butter to the skillet and cook onion, peppers, mushrooms and celery, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 11Add paprika and flour and cook over moderately-low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 12Stir in tomato paste and reserved shrimp broth and bring to boil.
- 13Add shrimp mixture and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until shrimp are cooked through.
- 14Stir in sour cream and Tabasco.
- 15Bring mixture to a simmer, stirring, and season with salt and pepper (may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled. Reheat in skillet over moderately-low heat, stirring, until heated through, but do not let boil.) Spoon Shrimp Creole in center and around edge of rice ring and garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Creole
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.5
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 248.4 mg
- Sodium 1116.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 25.7 g