Recipe by Chef Jeff S
I downloaded Shrimp Creole and it was very good but high in fat/calorie ratio, about 49%. So I made some tweaks to eliminate all the oil by using a technique from Chef Paul Prudhomme. It's still very flavorful and the only fat in it is what comes naturally from the veggies, shrimp and broth.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup anaheim chili, chopped
- 1 serrano chili, fine dice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 14 1⁄2 ounces cut tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces shrimp, peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a non-stick pot over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Add onion, celery, Anaheim pepper, Serrano pepper and garlic.
- Add Kosher salt, sugar, chile powder to veggies and mix well.
- Add 1/4 cup of the beef broth and cook down until almost gone, stirring occasionally.
- Add another 1/4 cup of the beef broth and cook down until almost gone, stirring occasionally.
- Add the final 1/4 cup beef broth, cut tomatoes, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Partially cover, reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook for another 5-10 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve over rice or pasta.