Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my favorite ways to eat shrimp!!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup water, more if needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- thyme, Italian parsley
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; stir in flour. Cook, stirring, until roux is light brown, about 3 minutes; add celery, onions and bell pepper; lower heat to medium.
- Cook and stir, until vegetables soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, dried thyme, salt, black and red pepper; raise heat to high; heat to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer; add the bay leaves.
- Cover. Cook until flavors marry about 25 minutes.
- Uncover; add more broth or water to desired consistency.
- Raise heat to medium high; stir in shrimp.
- Cook until shrimp turns pink, about 3 minutes.
- Cover; remove from heat; set aside until flavors come together, about 5 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.