Recipe by Ackman
This is based on a recipe from B H & G "Cajun Cookng" with a few changes. Like chili, this can be made a day or so ahead of time, but DO NOT add the corn starch mixture & shrimp until ready to serve.
- 1 lb shrimp (fresh or PDQ frozen, 24/26 count)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, petite cut
- 2 tablespoons parsley, FRESH & finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tsp.. cajun seasoning (I use Louisiana Fish Fry)
- 2 -3 teaspoons hot sauce (I use Trappey's Red Devil)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw shrimp, then peel & devein, if needed.
- Melt butter in a 10 inch skillet.
- Add the chopped onion, green pepper, celery & minced garlic.
- Saute' until tender, but not brown.
- Add the UNdrained tomatoes, parsley, salt, Cajun Seasoning, hot sauce & Bay Leaf.& stir.
- Bring to boil -- reduce heat, cover & simmer 15 minutes.
- Combine the cold water & corn starch & stir into mixture, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add the shrimp -- cover & cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the shrimp has turned color & is cooked through.
- Serve over hot rice.