Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
In 'The Glory of Southern Cooking' by James Villas
Make and share this Shrimp Creole recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried fennel, crumbled
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons file powder
- hot cooked rice
- In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over medium heat; add in the onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add in thyme, fennel, bay leaf, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and clam juice; stir well; return to a simmer, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and tomato paste; stir.
- Cover, and cook 15-20 minutes.
- Add in shrimp; stir well, and cook just until the shrimp turn pink, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat; sprinkle the file powder over the top, and stir gently until the liquid has thickened (make sure you add the file powder to the pot off the heat, or the dish will be offensively stringy).
- To serve, spoon about a cup of rice into wide soup bowls and ladle the shrimp over the top.
- Serve hot.