Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Shrimp and green peas crown this succulent mixture of rice, tomato, green pepper and sweet sausage. (An adopted recipe from 2005's gold rush...)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage links
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups regular long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 lb large shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- In a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and add ¼ cup water, boil.
- Cover skillet and cook sausages for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue cooking until sausages are well browned, about 20 minutes, turning sausages frequently and pricking sausages to release fat.
- With slotted spoon, remove sausages to paper towels to drain.
- Cut sausages into 1-inch chunks; place in 4-quart casserole.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In dripping remaining in skillet over medium heat, cook celery, onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- With slotted spoon, remove vegetables to casserole with sausages.
- Add tomato with their liquid, rice, salt, ground red pepper and 2 cups water to casserole.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile shell and devein shrimp.
- After rice has baked for 35 minutes, tuck some shrimp into rice mixture and arrange peas and some shrimp on top of the casserole.
- Cover and continue baking for 10 minutes or until shrimp turns pink, rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed.