Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got this recipe from eatingwell.com. You can substitute shrimp with scallops. I haven't tried it yet but sounds YUMMY! NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 235 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 168 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrate; 23 g protein; 4 g fiber; 411 mg sodium; 871 mg potassium. MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Return to a simmer before proceeding.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 bunches chives (2 cups) or 12 scallions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1 -2 scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and finely chopped (or other very hot fresh chiles)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄3 cup dark rum
- 1 cup fish stock or 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 18 jumbo shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds) or 24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions, chives (or scallions), shallots, all but 1 teaspoon of the garlic, chiles, ginger and curry powder. Cook, stirring, until just beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup parsley, cilantro, thyme and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in rum and bring to a boil.
- Add fish stock (or clam juice) and tomato paste. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened and well-flavored, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place shrimp in a shallow glass dish and toss with 2 tablespoons lime juice, salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Stir the shrimp into the onion-tomato mixture. Gently simmer over low heat, turning occasionally, until the shrimp are curled and opaque, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic.
- Taste and add more lime juice, if desired.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup parsley and serve immediately.