Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Shrimp Tips From New Orleans" printed by Fish and Wildlife Services.
Make and share this Shrimp Creole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb raw shrimp, deveined
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 bay leaves, whole
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, crushed
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5 cups cooked rice
- Cut large shrimp in half.
- Melt shortening; blend in flour and brown creating a roux, stirring constantly.
- Add water gradually and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients except rice.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve over rice.
This really hit the spot with us last night. I made 2 servings and the amount was just right for us. If you have anyone with a hearty appetite (I'm thinking teen male or a hubby who works hard) it would likely be enough for 1. Really good flavor and texture, I think I would call it top notch comfort food. I would certainly make this again. :D