Recipe by IJustThrewItTogether
A good make ahead recipe. Cook sauce but leave shrimp out until right before serving.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot such as Dutch Oven and add onion, green pepper, celery & garlic; cook until tender. Remove from pot.
- Add tomatoes with juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, salt and both peppers to the heated pot. Add tomato paste and stir until well mixed.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Add vegetables from step 1 back into sauce.
- Can continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the peeled shrimp and cook with the lid on for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink.
- Serve over hot rice.