Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I don't remember where I got this recipe originally, but it is very good and not difficult to make.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, medium dice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery ribs, medium dice
- 2 medium green bell peppers, medium dice
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add vegetables and garlic; saute until veggies soften, about 5 minutes. Add next 4 ingredients; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth; bring to boil and cook over medium high heat until thickened, about 30 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 4 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon pepper or to taste.
- Ladle a portion of shrimp creole into each warm soup plate. Spoon 3/4 cup rice atop each portion of creole. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.