Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
I watched Paula Deen make this and knew right away I had to make it! It's very rich but very, very good. I served this with crackers as an appetizer.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, cleaned
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add the milk, stirring with whisk to remove all lumps. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the wine, lemon juice, salt, black pepper & cayenne pepper, stirring well. Continue to cook until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- In separate pan bring 2 cups water & 1/2 teaspoons salt to boil. Add shrimp, return to boil; cook for 1 minute. Drain immediately and rough chop.
- Place roughly chopped shrimp and cleaned crab meat in large bowl. Toss with hands to mix completely taking care not to break up crab meats.
- Pour sauce over the seafood. Gently fold using large spoon or spatula.
- Spray 8-inch dish and pour mixture into the dish. Top with grated cheese, making sure to completely cover the seafood mixture.
- Bake uncovered in preheated 350º oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.