Recipe by Sherrybeth
One of the attorney's in our building makes this every year for the building Christmas party. Within an hour, the whole GIGANTIC batch that she makes is gone. She was nice enough to hand the recipe out this year and I'm posting so as NOT to lose it. It is THE BEST Shrimp, Corn & Crab Bisque that I have ever eaten. She brings it to the party in her crock pot to keep it warm. The added flavor comes from the shrimp stock so make sure you follow that direction closely.
Top Review by Pinkytz
This was very good. Had it as part of our Christmas dinner and everyone liked it. Easy to make and forgiving as I had to omit a few things because I forgot to get them and wasn't going to go scrambling around on Christmas day trying to find a store open. Didn't have green pepper. Substituted garlic powder for fresh. Used 1 can evaporated milk and an equal amount whole milk. Didn't have creamed corn so just used the one can of whole kernel corn that I had. Didn't boil the shrimp ahead of time. Just added them to the bisque at the end of cooking and let them cook gently for a few minutes. They turned out very tender and a pretty pink color that way. All in all it is an attractive and very flavorful soup. I don't think I missed the green pepper. Will surely make this again. I had never made shrimp stock before. What an easy way to add lots of flavor!Thanks for the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 (13 ounce) cans evaporated milk or 2 (13 ounce) cans half-and-half cream
- 2 cups shrimp stock (see below)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb boiled shrimp
- 1 lb crabmeat, cooked
- 2 teaspoons Accent seasoning
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the celery, bell pepper, onion, carrot and garlic in the butter for about 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook briefly (about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the milk, shrimp stock (see below), bay leaf, corn and seasonings.
- Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the shrimp and crab meat and cook for another 15 minutes on low heat.
- Add the Accent and thyme and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- FOR SHRIMP STOCK:.
- When you peel the boiled shrimp, keep the shells and boil in 3 cups of water with 2 tablespoons of Tony’s Seasoning.
- Cook for 10 minutes after water comes to a boil. Using a fine strainer, pour the stock into a large bowl. Throw shells away.
- Use the stock in your bisque.