Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delicious, cold night, comfort food. I found this recipe in the Ladies Home Journal.
Make and share this Shrimp & Corn Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, reserving shells
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup sweet white wine, such as Riesling
- 2 cups poblano peppers, roasted, seeded, and peeled, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 lb yukon gold potato, quartered
- 3⁄4 lb small red potato, halved
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup half-and-half
- fresh lime juice, to taste, plus wedges for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 5-quart pot over moderate heat. Add shrimp shells, 1/2 of the onion, and 1 tablespoon garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until shells turn bright pink and edges begin to turn golden brown, about 4 minutes. Add wine and 4 cups water; simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to 4 cups, about 20 minutes. Strain stock through a fine sieve set over a bowl, discarding solids; reserve pot.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over moderate heat in reserved pot. Add remaining onion, the peppers, and cumin; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add remaining 2 teaspoons garlic and cook, stirring 1 minute. Add shrimp broth and potatoes; simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork-tender, adding more water to cover potatoes if necessary, about 20 minutes. Mash some of the Yukon Gold potatoes with a fork to thicken soup. Stir in shrimp and corn; simmer until shrimp are just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add half-and-half, juice, and cilantro; salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with lime wedges. Makes 6 servings.