Recipe by Boomette
From Christine Cushing of Food Network.
Top Review by momaphet
My first review disappeared so let's try again. This was really good though I preferred the parts separately more than together. The corn and shrimp cakes have a very delicate flavor and the salsa, though quite delicious, has such a strong flavor from the onion and pepper it overwhelmed them. I really like the zip from the chipotle and cilantro and next time will just add them to the cakes and serve them on greens with a fruit vinaigrette. I cut this down to 2 servings, which made 3 smallish cakes and to me was a single serving. I started with uncooked, shelled and deveined shrimp, and just had to boil them a few minutes to cook them, I think they have a nicer flavor then starting with already cooked shrimp. I also used frozen corn as I was only using 2 TBLS and the fresh corn is not good yet in this area. I used my mini chopper and mixed the corn, egg, and buttermilk together; it wasn't totally smooth but worked just fine. I can't wait to make these for my DH, I know he'll love them too! Thanks Boomette for sharing! Made for ZWT 7 by a Food.commando
Shrimp Corn Cakes
- 236.59 ml fresh corn kernel
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 14.79 ml melted butter
- 118.29 ml flour
- 59.14 ml cornmeal
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 226.79 g cooked medium shrimp, deveined, and, chopped
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil, for frying
Citrus Chile Salsa
- 1 red pepper, finely, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, finely, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely, diced
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1.23 ml chipotle chili, puree
- 1 medium mango, peeled, and, diced
- 14.79 ml fresh coriander, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Shrimp Corn Cakes:Take half of the corn and process in food processor until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine smooth corn, buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and whole corn kernels.
- In another medium bowl combine flour, corn meal, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Stir in corn mixture.
- Add chopped parsley, green onions and chopped shrimp.
- Set aside batter until ready to cook.
- In a medium skillet heat vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Drop spoonfuls of the corn/shrimp mixture into hot oil.
- Fry on each side for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.
- Citrus Chile Salsa:Combine all citrus chile salsa ingredients in medium bowl.
- Puree half the mixture and return to bowl. Mix.