Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is originally from the Houston Chronicle's food section. I have used the fat-free half and half and light butter in this with good results.Use medium or large shrimp for this bisque.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional, but we like them!)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- 1Leaving tails intact on 4-6 shrimp, peel and devein shrimp; butterfly tail-on shrimp and chop the remaining shrimp.
- 2In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- 3Add butterflied shrimp and saute just until bright pink and cooked through. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- 4Add onion,chilies( if using ), and celery to pan; saute until onion is tender, but not browned.
- 5Stir in chopped shrimp and saute until just pink.
- 6Add all but 1/4 cup corn and saute 30 seconds longer.
- 7Sprinkle flour over vegetables and shrimp then cook and stir 1 minute more.
- 8Add broth and half and half.
- 9Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth, heated through and slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- 10Serve in bowls, garnished with remaining corn kernels, butterflied shrimp, and cilantro sprigs.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp-Corn Bisque
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 308.4
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 180.5 mg
- Sodium 1075.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 22.4 g