Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is originally from the Houston Chronicle's food section. I have used the fat-free half and half and light butter in this with good results.Use medium or large shrimp for this bisque.
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional, but we like them!)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- Leaving tails intact on 4-6 shrimp, peel and devein shrimp; butterfly tail-on shrimp and chop the remaining shrimp.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Add butterflied shrimp and saute just until bright pink and cooked through. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion,chilies( if using ), and celery to pan; saute until onion is tender, but not browned.
- Stir in chopped shrimp and saute until just pink.
- Add all but 1/4 cup corn and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables and shrimp then cook and stir 1 minute more.
- Add broth and half and half.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until smooth, heated through and slightly thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with remaining corn kernels, butterflied shrimp, and cilantro sprigs.