Recipe by Manami
Refrigerate 1-1/2 hours up to overnight. So all the prep work can be done in advance. These are very good! Found on Martha Stewart web site.Update: 05/02/2009 made these again and we left out the tarragon completely (personal preference) and added 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of horseradish & it tasted great - it had that extra kick.:)
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into chunks
- 8 ounces cod, cut into chunks
- 3⁄4 cup fine fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup drained capers, rinsed
- 3 medium scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- vegetable oil, for brushing
- 4 hamburger buns or 4 ciabatta rolls
- red-leaf lettuce, for serving
- lemon wedge, for serving
TARRAGON TARTAR SAUCE
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (not that bottled kind)
- 3 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Process half of the shrimp in a food processor until a paste forms.
- Add cod, remaining shrimp, the breadcrumbs, capers, scallions, parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Pulse until just combined.
- Using dampened hands, shape into 4 patties.
- Refrigerate, covered, until cold and firm, about 1 1/2 hours (or overnight).
- Preheat grill to medium-high (if using a charcoal grill, coals are ready when you can hold your hand above grill for just 3 to 4 seconds).
- Brush grill and burgers with oil.
- Grill, flipping once, until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Toast buns on grill during the last minute of cooking, if desired.
- Serve burgers on buns; top with lettuce.
- Serve with tartar sauce, if desired, and the lemon wedges.
- TARTAR SAUCE:.
- Stir together mayonnaise, relish, lemon juice, capers, tarragon, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
- Sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container, up to 1 week.