Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from an old Best of Bridge cookbook that has been served at many parties and is always the first thing to be gobbled up. If you run out of crackers people will eat it with spoons! You can use light versions of cream cheese and mayo but I can't tell you what the results would be like. Feel free to add another can of shrimp if you want it shrimpier.
- 1 (250 g) package cream cheese (8 oz)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup seafood cocktail sauce (hot or mild)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 (106 g) can small shrimp (4 oz)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- Mix the cream cheese, sour cream and mayo together till smooth. Spread onto a 12" serving platter or pie dish.
- Cover evenly with seafood sauce.
- Sprinkle evenly with mozzarella, then with shrimp.
- Top evenly with green onion, tomato and green pepper.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve - any kind of cracker or tortilla chips will be good.
This was very good. I made my own cocktail sauce, and it separated a bit, leaving water around the cream cheese layer. It still tasted good, but didn't look quite so pretty. I think I would cut down the cocktail sauce to 1/2 cup as well, as a previous reviewer suggested. It overpowered the dish a bit. I will definitely make this again though - it was delicious!
This is one of my favourite staple appetizer recipes. I grew up with this (and those OLD Best of Bridge Cookbooks - lol) and whenever I make it, people want the recipe and devour it. I suggest making it ahead for flavours to blend, but take it out a few hours before serving so the cream cheese mixture can soften. Makes it easier to scoop crackers from the bottom of the plate.
This recipe was definitely tastey but I think next time I'll add half the amount of cocktail sauce as it was a bit overwhelming. I also omitted the tomatoes simply because I forgot to get some at the grocery store. Still, good recipe. Thanks for posting!
Edit: Tagged and made for the Think Pink Tag Event for Breat Cancer Awareness.