Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from a friend that tried something similar in a restaurant on South Padre island.
- 2 lbs cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 cups Clamato juice
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 serrano pepper, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- Place shrimp in a large bowl.
- Stir in garlic, red onion and cilantro.
- Mix in Clamato, ketchup, lime juice, minced serrano and horseradish.
- Season with salt.
- Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Stir in avocado when ready to serve so it doesn't get too mushy.
This was wonderful. I used vegan shrimp, and it was perfect. The part that I made with real shrimp tasted just like what I had on SPI myself, which was what I was looking for. I didn't have any horseradish, but I did have some shrimp cocktail sauce, so I just used 1/4 cup of that instead. Exactly what I wanted it to be, thanks for posting!
Wish I could give this more stars. Everyone loved this. We will make this often. This is in the go to folder. Thanks
Oh my this is EXCELLENT! If you like spicy this is a must try. The spicy shrimp paired with the creamy avocado is divine. I used frozen shrimp (thawed) and marinated 4 hours. This will definitely be made again & is going into my "best of" cookbook. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring '09 Pick A Chef.