Recipe by English_Rose
Herb mayonnaise coated shrimp are piled high inside ripe tomato shells in this version of a classic appetizer.
- 1 egg
- 1 lemon, juice of, only
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 bunch dill, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch chervil, roughly chopped (optional)
- 150 ml olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, hollowed out with tops
- 1 1⁄4 lbs shrimp, cooked, peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- Crack the egg into the bowl of a food processor, add the lemon juice and mustard and season with salt and pepper, pulse once or twice to blend. Add the herbs and pulse again.
- Turn the processor on and, with the motor running, add the oil in a thin, steady stream through the top of the lid. After a minute or two, the mixture will change consistency as it blends and will emulsify into a thick, rich mayonnaise. Stop adding oil when the mayonnaise has reached the desired consistency (you may not need to use all the oil). If the mayonnaise is too thick, you can thin with a little bit of water.
- Cut a thin slice off the tops of the tomatoes to create a lid, and with a teaspoon carefully hollow them out, discarding the pips and flesh. Pile the shrimp inside of the tomatoes, drizzle over the mayo and place the lid on top.