This is a very rich, great tasting chowder. Perfect for fall and winter, or if your in the mood for some comfort food. Note: I've only used smoked paprika in this dish, not sure how regular paprika will taste, (if you decide to include it) it is optional...**This recipe has been updated, thank you to my reviewers :D
- 2 (6 ounce) cans canned clams (in juice do not drain)
- 15 medium shrimp (tails off, uncooked)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes (cut into bite size squares)
- 2 cups chopped mixed mushrooms (bella preferably)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup flour (**update, mix in a little at at time, you may need to use less)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked preferably)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Boil potatoes in separate pot about 10 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- In a large pot melt butter on medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, do not brown and cook until onion is iridescent.
- Slowly stir in flour & half and half.
- Add mushrooms, potatoes, white wine, and milk or water.
- Drain the clam juice into the pot and set clams to the side.
- Add paprika, bay leaf, salt & pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add clams & shrimp and continue to simmer for another 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add parsley right before serving.
- and -- your done!