Recipe by JackieOhNo!
I love shrimp, and I love soups. This combines both loves quite well, an offers a great alternative to the usual soups and shrimp dishes.
Top Review by Annacia
Great tasting chowder. I love using the clam juice, it gives it a real taste of the sea. The only thing I would do differently is to add some cornstarch to the milk (I used fat free evaporated milk) before adding it to thicken the soup a bit. This is sure easy to make and a plus is that it used things I usually have on hand.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 celery rib, minced
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 lb small fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium saucepan, melt butter. Saute celery and shallots for 5 minutes.
- Add clam juice, potato, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add half-and-half and shrimp. Simmer over low heat until shrimp are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.