Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Shrimp, Chickpea, and Mint Salad with Chile Dressing from Italian Salads
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb uncooked medium shrimp, shell on
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces fresh mint leaves
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saute pan and add the shrimp. Stir-fry for 4 to 6 minutes until they change color and are cooked through. Tip into a colander placed over a bowl to catch the juices and leave until cold. When cold, peel the shrimp, put them in a bowl, and add the chickpeas.
- Pour the collected juice from the shrimp into a small saucepan and add the garlic and chile. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour the chile dressing over the shrimp and chickpeas and let cool. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to develop the flavors.
- To serve, gently stir the mint leaves into the salad, then pile into 4 serving bowls. Serve immediately, while the mint is still perky.