- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking grits (not instant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese (extra-sharp is best)
- 1 lb peeled and deveined raw shrimp (16-20 per pound)
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in grits and half of the pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile toss the shrimp, scallions, oil, garlic powder, the remaining pepper and the salt in a bowl. Transfer to to a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, stirring once, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Serve the grits topped with the broiled shrimp and scallions.